The same decorating principles of indoor decorating apply to the outdoor as well. Choose colors, fabrics and furniture that are suitable for your lifestyle, your personal preference and budget.
Your patio should be an extension of your home.
Here are five easy ideas to update your patio:
- Clean windows and doors - pressure clean if possible. Cleaning the windows/doors will help to show off your beautiful and sparkling outdoor retreat and provides a great first impression when guests arrive.
- Update your old outdoor furniture by spray painting it. First clean it thoroughly, sand it, give it a coat of acrylic primer and then spray paint it with an outdoor latex paint. If you plan on buying new furniture select outdoor furniture that will withstand weather conditions such as heavy rainfall, harsh sunlight and gusts of wind. Wicker and wrought iron patio furniture are a good choice.
- Adding patio accessories such as seat cushions, pillows, umbrellas, and an outdoor rug helps to pull your look together. Go bold with fabrics and coordinate your colors with your indoor space so there is a flow and continuity.
- Lighting - whether you choose lanterns, string lights, or Chinese lanterns, lighting provides a warm glow, illuminates your surroundings and enhances your security.
- Container gardening - place potted succulents, and annuals in corners that are bare and need a little lift. Potted plants will instantly take a patio from boring to remarkable and they can easily be moved from one corner of the patio to the other to accommodate sun/shade.
resistant outdoor furniture
Wrought-iron patio furniture
Brightly colored patio umbrella
and striped cushions
All photos courtesy of BHG